Monday, March 30, 2009

"Never....Never Say Never."


Since my most recent occupational separation, I have had a bit more time on my hands to help with "Dad" related activities. Don't get me wrong, I love an opportunity to get close with the kids. Changing diapers, washing ketchup stains out of shirts and picking up the 'little guy' from a buddy's house however, don't exactly qualify. I have been complaining a bit too much about these 'meaningful chores' lately. The truth is, they are completely meaningful to my kids and therefore are meaningful to me.
I am reminded of Dick and Rick Hoyt and the tremendous story and love this father and son team share. Dick is a miracle unto himself. He has to be. This guy, who is approaching 70 years old, has participated in nearly 90 Iron Man events with his disabled son Rick. Rick was strangled by his umbilical cord at birth. This left him brain damaged and unable to speak. Dick has pushed Rick in his wheelchair some 26.2 miles, towed him 2.4 miles in a dinghy while swimming, and pedaled him 112 miles in a seat on the handlebars..............all on the same day! They are approaching their 100th such event together. Please visit this link to check out their video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRHxHapwirw&feature=channel .
I guess the point in all of this is quite simple. I have absolutely no excuse for not doing the "little" things which make life exactly what it is: a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment